Thursday, July 16, 2009

2010 Cape Town transport system


I received this video today from news24.com on twitter and I think, if constructed the way it is on the video, is going to be fantastic for Capetonians and its tourists. We've all heard about the Gautrain being contructed in Gauteng, but this is Cape Town's solution to some of our public transport problems with the 2010 in our midst.

While watching it I immediately started thinking about how the local taxi/minibus drivers might like this idea, as this system will provide transport for about 75% of Cape Town's population. I carried on listening and heard some of the solutions: they are going to offer shares in the company, give preference in jobs, and or provide compensation...hmmm. Do you really think that this is going to work? I somehow don't think that a taxi/minibus driver is going to give up his business to go and work for the local government. I think this is just going to call for more striking, which South Africa has seen enough of in the past few weeks.

Don't get me wrong I think this is a brilliant idea, and i would definitely take full advantage of using it. After all, if it gets people to leave their cars at home it would create a hell of a lot less traffic and less car omissions. And on the plus side, it seems pretty affordable. Well don't dwell on my opinions, watch the video for yourself and decide what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment